Picking a Website Builder
Starting an online business, there are many things to consider. One of the most important when getting started is picking a tool to build your website. Important considerations are things like: "How technical am I? ", "How much money do I want to
invest in this? ". Another thing to consider is how easy the provider will make it to export your data to another system.
Some Popular Website Builders Compared
Jimdo is a German company, as such they are bound by German and EU Data Privacy laws. This is a big thing to consider if you're based in Europe and/or planning selling in the EU.
Time-Unlimited free package
Shop with 0% Transaction Fees - Jimdo still offers the shop in it's free package up to 5 products. It also doesn't charge anything to you for this service. Credit card payments are processed with
- Easy to use editor. The Jimdo system has a good choice of content modules and it's easy to integrate 3rd party widgets via the HTML widget.
- Great support - Most of Jimdo's employees actually work in support. They have a very disciplined support team per-country and they are committed to being the best at that.
- Mobile apps - Jimdo has mobile apps covering things like statistics (for Pro users) and a pretty decent but somewhat limited website editing app. More recently they released a chat app for Android and there are more on the way.
Jimdo is easy to use, but no system is without limitations.
- No Marketplace - Jimdo doesn't yet have an official marketplace with 3rd party apps. This means if you need something custom, it may not be supported yet.
- No Versioning - Jimdo sites are just as you see them but all previous versions are gone. I don't personally miss this but may be important for some.
No Versioning - Jimdo sites are just as you see them but all previous versions are gone. I don't personally miss this but may be important for some.
Wix are the largest website-builder (if you don't count Wordpress). They are based out of Tel Aviv and so are not bound by EU privacy laws.
- Time-Unlimited free package
- 500MB Storage
- Large selection of templates
- Marketplace of 3rd party plugins
- Site history - different versions of your website are automatically saved.
- Bookings app - For small businesses to allow customers to make a reservation.
- No Shop - even in some of the paid packages!
- Quite marketing-driven, expect prices to change on their signup page often.
Weebly is a former Y-Combinator startup. They're a US company, founded in San Francisco in 2007.
1. Time-Unlimited free package
2. 500MB Storage
3. Mature mobile apps with lots of the same functionality as the web version.
1. Template selection is more limited than Wix.
2. e-Commierce is North America biased: For EU companies/individuals it may lack some necessary boilerplate for it's eCommerce solution.
3. The editor can be sluggish.